Couloscope and MMS Benchtop Instruments
COULOSCOPE CMS2 AND COULOSCOPE CMS2 STEP
Coulometric coating thickness measurement for quality control
Above a certain layer thickness, the non-destructive measurement of layer thickness with X-ray fluorescence reaches its limits. This is where the COULOSCOPE® CMS2 comes into play. It measures the coating thickness of almost any metal layer by using the coulometric method. This is done quite simply by deplating the coating. Many common single- and multilayer coatings can be measured accurately with the COULOSCOPE CMS2.
The coulometric method is a cost-effective, precise alternative to the X-ray fluorescence method – provided you can accept a destructive method for coating thickness measurement. It offers you maximum flexibility, as it can be used for a wide range of coating-carrier combinations. You benefit from the coulometric method of coating thickness measurement especially in the quality control of electroplated coatings, as well as for monitoring the residual tin thickness on printed circuit boards.
STEP TEST: COULOMETRIC COATING THICKNESS MEASUREMENT AND MEASUREMENT OF ELECTROCHEMICAL POTENTIALS
If you want to measure electrochemical potentials in addition to the coating thickness when using the coulometric method, the COULOSCOPE CMS2 STEP is your instrument. The STEP test method allows you to measure the differences in potential and the layer thicknesses of multiple nickel coatings simultaneously – ideal for determining e.g. the corrosion behavior of these coatings.
- Precise measurement of multilayer coatings with highly accurate electrolytic deplating technique (coulometry)
- Coating deplating according to DIN EN ISO 2177
- Intuitive operation via color display and graphically supported user guidance
- Easy selection of the deplating speed (0.1–50 microns/min) and the deplating area (0.6–3.2mm)
- Almost 100 predefined measuring applications for different coating systems (e.g. zinc on iron or nickel on brass)
- Graphical display of the voltage curve on the measuring cell
- Graphical and statistical evaluation options
- Partially automated measurement with support stands for various sample sizes
- Comprehensive portfolio of accessories for adaptation to specific requirements
Additional features with COULOSCOPE CMS2 STEP
- Simultaneous measurement of layer thickness and potential differences
- Functions for STEP test measurement according to ASTM B764 - 04 and DIN EN 16866
- Automatic test cycle for conditioning the silver reference electrode (generation of the necessary AgCl layer)
- Adjustable deplating current
- Evaluation of the potential curves directly on the measuring device
- Production monitoring in electroplating and incoming inspection of finished parts
- Exact thickness measurement of practically any metal coating from 0.05–50µm (depending on the material)
- Coating thickness measurement of single and multilayer coatings on metallic and non-metallic substrates
- Multilayer coatings e.g. chrome/nickel/copper on iron or plastic substrates (ABS)
- Dual-layer coatings e.g. tin/nickel on silver or copper
- Single layers like zinc on iron
Additional application with COULOSCOPE CMS2 STEP
- STEP test measurement: multiple nickel layer systems on copper, iron, aluminum or plastic substrates (ABS)
FISCHERSCOPE MMS PC2
All-in-one system to measure coatings and test materials
Experience the flexibility of Fischer’s modular measurement system, the benchtop FISCHERSCOPE® MMS® PC2, for both coating thickness measurement and material testing. The instrument can be completely customized to your specific measurement and testing needs via 8 plug-in modules. The interchangeable probes feature the accuracy and repeatability of Fischer’s most popular gages. This all-in-one measurement system saves you time and money by eliminating the need for multiple specialized devices while making your quality management processes more efficient.
An investment in the all-in-one MMS PC2 measurement system pays for itself by reducing the time needed to measure and test your products and increasing your flexibility. For example, when used with the PERMASCOPE® and the SIGMASCOPE® plug-in cards plus their respective probes, you can measure both coating thickness and electrical conductivity with the same instrument. The interchangeable card modules allow the user to perform amplitude and phase-sensitive eddy current, magnetic induction test methods without ever needing to change instruments.
The MMS PC 2 comes with the Windows CE operating system already installed, which turns the benchtop tool into a powerful all-in-one system for measuring, testing, recording and processing. With the touch of a button, your data is easily analyzed, stored and exported – saving even more time in your quality assurance process. The flexibility, accuracy and data handling of the MMS PC2 makes it the ultimate solution for your unique coating measurement and material testing needs.
- The best measurement system for customized and accurate testing of coatings and materials
- Modular construction and interchangeable probes save time and money by streamlining quality processes
- Amplitude and phase-sensitive eddy current, magnetic induction – all in a single benchtop instrument
- Comprehensive analytical and statistical functions
- Large, easy-to-use touchscreen with options for external keyboard and mouse
- Galvanized coatings, paint on steel, anodized coatings on aluminum (PERMASCOPE®)
- Copper coatings on surfaces and through-holes (SIGMASCOPE®) on circuit boards
- Copper layers on laminates or in multilayers, measured without influence from facing copper coatings (SR-SCOPE®) in circuit board manufacture
- Solder resist on copper (PERMASCOPE®) in circuit board manufacture
- Graphite coatings on piston surfaces or anti-corrosion coatings on brake disks (PERMASCOPE®) in the automotive sector
- Ferrous coatings on piston surfaces (NICKELSCOPE®) in the automotive sector
- Ferrite content in austenitic or duplex steels (PERMASCOPE®)
- Electrical conductivity of non-magnetic metals such as copper, aluminum, titanium (SIGMASCOPE®)
Do you want to know more about Couloscope and MMS Benchtop Instruments?
Please complete the form with your question/s and we will get back to you.