JXA-8230 SuperProbe Electron Probe Microanalyzer (EPMA)
The JXA-8230, the fifth generation of SuperProbes, is a high resolution, highly stable SEM and a WD/ED Combined Electron Probe Microanalyzer (EPMA) with a new PC-based operating environment for easy data acquisition and analysis.
The combination of up to 5 wavelength dispersive X-ray spectrometers (WDS) and a newly developed energy dispersive X-ray spectrometer (EDS) analyzer featuring spectral imaging assures the most efficient and accurate analysis of data. The WD/ED combined system can simultaneously analyze up to 5 WDS elements and all EDS elements. The backscattered electron image, provided by a highly sensitive solid state detector, the secondary electron image, and optional cathodoluminescence image can all be displayed and viewed at the same time.
The new JXA-8230 WD/ED combined microanalyzer provides for:
- new large crystal spectrometers for higher detection sensitivity for trace elements and increased count rate without sacrificing energy resolution and P/B ratio
- new PC automation for easy operation
- EDS spectral imaging
- Optional fan free SDD x-ray detectors for high thru-put
- higher accuracy of quantitative analysis
- higher resolving power (resolution) for adjacent X-rays
- higher accuracy of quantitative analysis for light elements
The automated stage can handle samples up to 6” diameter x 2" tall through the airlock, and can reposition a sample to less than 0.5um.
JEOL commercialized the world's first FE-EPMA, the JXA-8500F in 2003. This highly regarded FE-EPMA has long been used in various fields, such as: metals, materials and geology in both industry and academia. The JXA-8530FPlus is a third-generation FE-EPMA that comes with enhanced analytical and imaging capabilities. The In-Lens Schottky field emission electron gun combined with new software provides higher throughput while maintaining high stability, thus allowing a wider range of EPMA applications to be achieved with higher resolution.
In-Lens Schottky Plus FEG EPMA version
The In-Lens Schottky Plus FEG EPMA version, with an optimized angular current density, allows for analysis with a large probe current of 2μA or more. The resolution of secondary electron image has been improved even under analytical conditions by automatically adjusting for the correct convergence angle.
A wealth of Microsoft Windows®-based advanced applications systems are available, including:
- Trace Element Analysis Program for simpler, optimized analysis of trace elements including adding data collected from up to 5 spectrometers.
- Phase Map Maker for automatic creation of phase maps based on principal components.
- Non-Flat Surface Analysis Program for automated WDS analysis of specimens with surface irregularities. This is possible due to the large Z travel of the stage (7.5 mm).
Notices:Windows is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the United States and other countries.
Flexible WDS configuration
Various X-ray spectrometers (WDSs) can be selected: a Rowland circle radius of 140 mm (140R) or 100 mm (100R), 2 crystal or 4 crystal configurations and a mix of standard or large size crystals.
The XCE (2 xtl) X-ray Spectrometer, the FCS (4 xtl) X-ray spectrometer and the L (large 2 xtl) X-ray Spectrometer for 140R have wide spectrometry range and provide superior wavelength resolution and peak-to-background ratio. The H Type X-ray Spectrometer of 100R provides high X-ray intensity. Users can select from these spectrometers depending on requirements.
Combined WDS/EDS system
The JXA-8530FPlus comes with JEOL's 30mm2 silicon-drift detector (SDD).
A high count-rate SDD along with an in-situ variable aperture enables EDS analysis at WDS conditions. EDS spectra, maps and line scans can be acquired simultaneously with WDS data.
The JXA-8530FPlus is equipped with a highly-expandable specimen chamber and specimen exchange chamber, enabling you to integrate a variety of optional attachments on the chamber.
- Electron Backscatter Diffraction System (EBSD)
- Tilting rotating sub-stage
- Soft X-ray Emission Spectrometer
- Air Isolated Transfer Vessel
- High Etching Rate Ion Source, in-situ cleaner, etc.
Cathodoluminescence Detectors (panchromatic, monochromatic, full color hyperspectral)
Powerful clean vacuum system
A powerful, clean vacuum system is employed on the JXA-8530FPlus, including two magnetic-levitation turbo molecular pumps. In addition, a two-stage intermediate chamber is provided for the electron optical column, thus maintaining high vacuum in the electron-gun chamber by differential pumping. The addition of optional Scroll pumps and a liquid nitrogen cold finger create the ultimate oil free vacuum system.